This is one trigger-happy dog.
Trigger — that’s his name — shot his 25-year-old owner in the foot in a bizarre accident that had Indiana officials reminding hunters to take safety lessons.
Allie Carter laid her 12-gauge shotgun on the ground while repositioning herself during a waterfowl hunt and her 11-year-old chocolate Labrador stepped on it, depressing the trigger.
The weapon went off, hitting Carter in the foot, according to Indiana Department of Natural Resources officials cited by Reuters.
The gun’s safety latch was not on.
Carter, who had never completed a hunter education course, was hospitalized.
She suffered non-life-threatening injuries from the bird shot pellets and was treated and released, conservation officer John Boyd said.
Officials said firearm users should always point the muzzle in a safe direction and use the safety mechanism.
Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1986 is required to take a certified hunter education course before purchasing a hunting license in Indiana.
However, anyone can get up to three apprentice hunter’s licenses without taking such a course, if accompanied by a person who has taken it, Boyd said.
Carter had an apprentice license and does not face any charges.
– Contact us at [email protected]