A restaurant owner in Jinan, Shandong province, could face a lawsuit after customers found a mobile-phone battery in their hot pot, Metro Hong Kong reported Monday.
A woman surnamed Chang and her son went to the restaurant Nov 11.
After eating from the hot pot for more than an hour, they were shocked when they fished the battery out from the bottom of the vessel.
The manufacturing date on the battery was April 27, 2012, and there was a warning on it saying it should be kept away from water and anywhere with a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius or higher.
Boiling soup in a hot pot could reach temperatures around 100 C.
After negotiations with Chang’s husband, the restaurant owner at first agreed to compensate Chang and her son for any physical damage they might have suffered.
However, after they spent 1,500 yuan (US$234) at a hospital for physical checkups, the owner changed his mind and was only willing to reimburse them 350 yuan for medical expenses.
He claimed it was very unlikely the battery would have been dropped into the pot by his employees.
The husband plans to sue the owner, who refused his request to watch footage from the store’s closed-circuit television system.
– Contact us at [email protected]