The Hong Kong police force will seek the opinion of the Department of Justice on whether to file criminal charges against a now-retired senior police officer who has been accused of using excessive force against civilians at the height of last year’s Occupy civil disobedience campaign.
The Complaints Against Police Office (CAPO) has finally accepted the conclusion made by the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) on the case involving former police superintendent Franklin Chu, who allegedly attacked some passersby in Mong Kok with a baton on Nov. 26 last year during the pro-democracy protests, Ming Pao Daily reported on Tuesday.
A spokesman said CAPO sent a revised investigation report to IPCC on Monday, stating its agreement with the council’s July 10 ruling that an assault complaint against Chu is justified.
In effect, CAPO is reversing its former conclusion that “such a complaint cannot be proved entirely true”.
The spokesman said CAPO’s next step will be to seek the justice department’s opinion on the case.
Osman Cheng, who filed the complaint against Chu, said he now sees some progress in the case, although he is still not satisfied with the way police have been handling the complaint.
Barrister Lawrence Ma, who is an IPCC member, said criminal prosecution against Chu, who retired on July 23 this year, is possible only if there is no reasonable doubt about his alleged assault.
This means it should be determined whether Chu acted merely to blow off steam or used reasonable force to maintain order, Ma said.
– Contact us at [email protected]