A man who fell to his death from a Shenzhen building on Sunday night has been identified as Xu Yuanan, former head of a local district urban management office.
Investigators have ruled out foul play, Ming Pao Daily reports, citing Shenzhen police.
Xu, 52, approved the construction waste dump where a massive landslide killed at least 10 people on Dec 20.
Sixty-five are still missing.
Officials from the State Council, China’s cabinet, said the cave-in was a safety failure, not a natural disaster.
On Saturday, the Supreme People’s Procuratorate announced an investigation into suspected criminal malpractice.
Twelve people have been arrested, police officials said.
Xu was appointed head of the Shenzhen Guangming district urban management bureau in August of 2009.
He stepped down in July without giving any reasons.
A source told Caijing magazine Xu had been traveling and had just returned from an overseas trip shortly before the Shenzhen tragedy struck.
– Contact us at [email protected]