Wanted notices against a former Hong Kong triad boss have emerged with a HK$5 million (US$645,103) reward for anyone who can give his whereabouts.
The notices followed the apparent disappearance of Kwok Wing-hung, known in the underworld as Shanghai Boy, after he was attacked with a knife in the lobby of the Peninsula Hotel on Dec 20.
They sprang up in the Hong Kong Cultural Center, the Peninsula Hotel, YMCA, Star Ferry and Shun Tak Center, Apple Daily reports.
A certain Nip Yan, who posted his contact details on the notices, is offering the bounty.
Calls by Apple Daily reporters to two other contacts were answered by the Peninsula and a woman in Xinjiang who said she doesn’t know Kwok.
Witnesses said a dozen masked men put up the signs in Tsim Sha Tsui early Wednesday morning.
About 80 notices were posted in the YMCA and another 200 around the Cultural Center and the Star Ferry, police investigators said.
Officers took them down after taking photographic evidence.
On Wednesday, Kwok cancelled a scheduled press conference at the last minute, saying only “something has come up”.
He had been expected to answer questions about the reported attack, which he had denied, and respond to speculation about gambling debts which reportedly forced him to quit his Macau junket business.
His whereabouts have been the subject of intense media interest since he was released from hospital on Dec. 21 after being treated for a cut to his right eyelid.
Kwok said the injury did not come from the reported knife attack but from an accident when he hit his head on a table while having afternoon tea at the Peninsula.
A spokesman later said Kwok is “free and healthy”.
– Contact us at [email protected]