Three women suffered food poisoning after eating raw oysters imported from France, Ming Pao Daily reported Wednesday, citing the Center for Health Protection (CHP).
The trio, all 27 years old, experienced symptoms such as vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea and fever 20-40 hours after eating oysters at Mr. & Mrs. Fox, a restaurant in Quarry Bay, Jan. 3.
They each went to hospital, but given their stable condition, did not need to be warded.
After an investigation, the CHP found that the raw oysters involved were harvested in Catch Area 50-04 in France.
Oysters from this region have been barred from being imported or sold in Hong Kong.
The CHP has notified the French authorities about the import ban.
It said it will continue to follow the issue and take further necessary action if needed.
The supplier of the batch of oysters is Longino & Cardenal. The company’s distributors in Hong Kong said it has no stocks of the oysters at the moment.
The CHP warned that susceptible groups — such as pregnant women, children, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems or liver diseases — should avoid eating raw oysters or those that are not completely cooked.
Separately, the CHP found excessive bacterial content in a batch of DailyDutch chocolate beverage.
The milk-based drink has been prohibited from being imported or sold in Hong Kong.
– Contact us at [email protected]