17 July 2019
Bookseller Lee Bo and wife during their meeting in the mainland, and Lee's letter to the police. Photos: Headline Daily, HKEJ
Bookseller Lee Bo and wife during their meeting in the mainland, and Lee's letter to the police. Photos: Headline Daily, HKEJ

Legislator says Lee Bo meeting with wife doesn’t prove he’s safe

Missing bookseller Lee Bo and his wife met in a hotel in an undisclosed location in mainland China over the weekend, and he handed a letter addressed to the police saying he was safe and free, Hong Kong police said.

In the letter, Lee also stressed he was not kidnapped and he did not visit prostitutes in the mainland, Ming Pao Daily reported.

He also asked the police to stop investigations into his case.

However, Democratic Party legislator James To Kun-sun said the letter has not solved the mystery surrounding Lee’s disappearance, nor does it prove that he is free and out of danger.

If Lee is safe and free as he claims in the letter and that he is assisting mainland law enforcement agencies on his own will, then he could return to Hong Kong to close the case with the local police, before going back to the mainland to assist in any investigation, To said.

“We will all know what this is about if Lee does not want to go back up again after returning to Hong Kong,” he said.

The public is not convinced that Lee is safe as he has yet to show up, To added.

Police said Lee’s wife did not disclose where she met Lee on Saturday afternoon nor did she offer details on the nature of Lee’s assistance to mainland authorities.

About 40 minutes after police issued a statement at 2:06 a.m. on Sunday about Lee’s meeting with his wife, Headline Daily, the free newspaper of pro-government Sing Tao News Corporation Ltd., posted on its website a picture of Lee and his wife along with Lee’s letter to the police.

Mrs. Lee confirmed to Ming Pao reporters that the report published by Sing Tao Daily about their meeting was correct, but begged off from further interview as she was not feeling well in view of her high blood pressure.

Mrs. Lee was quoted in the police statement as saying that her husband is in good health and mental condition.

She reiterated that her husband was “assisting investigations as a witness”, but gave no details about the case.

In his letter to the police, which was written in traditional Chinese characters, Lee put down his Hong Kong identity card number, signature and the date.

He said he returned to the mainland voluntarily to assist with investigations on some internal affairs of his company that concerned private matters.

Lee stressed that he is safe and free, and urged the police “to not waste time and resources on him and discontinue the investigation”.

He also said his wife had no intention of calling the police but was misled to do so.

She decided to close the case after she felt she was being used by someone, the letter said.

To urged Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying to get in touch with leaders of the central government for assistance, since Hong Kong police are unlikely to make any progress in the case.

Stanley Ng Chau-pei, a deputy to the National People’s Congress, said the government should seek to clarify the case as soon as possible, and the most efficient way to do this is to speak directly with relevant mainland departments.

– Contact us at [email protected]


EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe