Date
22 July 2017
Severe scalding and swelling in the boy's right foot landed him in hospital. He was released shortly after. Photos: HKEJ, Ming Pao Daily
Severe scalding and swelling in the boy's right foot landed him in hospital. He was released shortly after. Photos: HKEJ, Ming Pao Daily

Young boy injured after hot-water bag bursts

A young boy was severely scalded after a hot-water bag suddenly burst and spilled its content on him.

The German-made portable heater had been safe until the accident, Ming Pao Daily reports, citing the boy’s parents.

Facebook pictures of the boy show severe blisters and swelling in the right foot.

The injuries landed him in hospital where he was released after treatment.

The couple said they wanted to keep the boy warm as Hong Kong temperatures plunged to five degrees celsius on Monday.

But after a while, the bag exploded and spilled hot water on their son. 

The Consumer Council warned the public to check hot-water bags for damage and to make sure the cap is secure before use.

The water temperature in the bag should not exceed 85 degrees celsius, it said.

– Contact us at [email protected]

KZ/DY/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe