Date
23 January 2017
A sign guards the entrance to Tai Mo Shan where hundreds of people braved Hong Kong's coldest day in nearly 60 years. Wild mushrooms picked by a 53-year-old winter buff may have sickened him with food poisoning. Photo: Internet
A sign guards the entrance to Tai Mo Shan where hundreds of people braved Hong Kong's coldest day in nearly 60 years. Wild mushrooms picked by a 53-year-old winter buff may have sickened him with food poisoning. Photo: Internet

Tai Mo Shan wild mushrooms likely sickened winter buff

A 53-year-old man, who developed abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea after eating wild mushrooms, is under observation for suspected food poisoning.

The man is in stable condition in an intensive care unit in Yan Chai Hospital, Ming Pao Daily reports.

He was admitted on Monday with severe abdominal symptoms after eating wild mushrooms from Tai Mo Shan where he was among hundreds of people who braved Hong Kong’s coldest day in nearly 60 years on Sunday to see what it’s like.

Health officials, worried others might have picked Tai Mo Shan wild mushrooms, warned people not to eat them.

The Center for Health Protection said it is trying to ascertain which species of mushroom was responsible for the man’s symptoms.

It said poisonous wild mushrooms are indistinguishable from edible ones and warned the public not to take risks. 

Six food poisoning cases were reported in Hong Kong last year, all but one of which were linked to wild mushrooms. 

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe