A 21-year-old man was arrested in Tin Shui Wai on Wednesday for allegedly spreading online messages calling for attacks on reporters during last week’s clashes in Mong Kok, am730 reported.
The man, who bears the surname Law, is said to be a student. He will now face a charge of “access to computer with criminal or dishonest intent”.
The police’s Cyber Security and Technology Crime Bureau (CSTCB) took away a tablet device, a router and notebook computer from Law’s home as they conduct investigations.
The student was allowed to go on bail, but will have to report to the police by mid-March.
Meanwhile, reports say that the police also arrested two more men, aged 17 and 21, in connections with the Mong Kok “riots”.
They, too, were released on bail, but have been barred from entering certain areas in Mong Kok. They will have to live at the addresses they declared as residence.
The police have so far arrested a total of 69 persons — 60 men and nine females — in relation to the Mong Kok clashes.
Forty-two of them were charged with rioting, while one person will face charges of participating in an illegal assembly.
Tony Chan Fan-cheong, vice-chancellor of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, said at a media gathering Wednesday that he was shocked and saddened by the Mong Kok incidents.
Violence cannot solve any problem, but will only trigger a vicious cycle, Chan said.
Tycoon Henry Cheng Kar-shun, who is chairman of the New World Development group, said any views or appeals should always be communicated through non-violent means.
The Mong Kok clashes are said to have affected sales of the group’s jewellery shops in the area.
Secretary for Education Eddie Ng Hak-kim also commented on the incident for the first time, saying that he was shocked and heartbroken as police officers and reporters came under attack.
- Contact us at [email protected]