Date
28 March 2017
Import and sale of Penn Cove oysters has been suspended as some people fell ill after consuming the items at a local hotel. Photo: Google Maps
Import and sale of Penn Cove oysters has been suspended as some people fell ill after consuming the items at a local hotel. Photo: Google Maps

Six people suffer food poisoning after eating raw US oysters

Six people suffered food poisoning last week after eating raw American oysters at a restaurant in a Causeway Bay hotel, according to media reports.

Following the incident, the health department’s Center for Food Safety announced Wednesday a ban on Penn Cove oyster import and sales. 

Food safety concerns arose after six women, whose ages ranged from 47 to 65, fell ill after eating raw oysters in a restaurant at the The Excelsior hotel on Feb. 23.

The women are said to have suffered diarrhea and stomach pain after eating the oysters.

Four of them sought medical advice. Norovirus was found in a 57-year-old victim’s stool specimen, the Centre for Health Protection announced Wednesday night.

The oysters are said to have come from Penn Cove in Washington.

The hotel has stopped providing the items, am730 reported.

Meanwhile, the supplier of the oysters has also assured that there are no more stocks.

The Royal Park Hotel in Sha Tin imported Penn Cove oysters, but its inventories have been cleared as well.

– Contact us at [email protected]

BT/AC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe