A decades-old restaurant has stopped serving two dishes suspected of causing two cases of food poisoning that are being investigated by the Centre for Health Protection(CHP), Apple Daily reports.
In a press release issued Wednesday, the CHP said both cases occurred May 15.
Two clusters of diners at the restaurant in Tsim Sha Tsui developed symptoms of food poisoning — diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting and fever — several hours after eating there.
The restaurant turned out to be Tai Ping Koon on Granville Road, which has been famous for its western-style dishes for decades and operates three other outlets in the city.
The CHP said the first cluster was made up of one male and three females aged between six and 40, and the other also comprised one male and three females, aged between four and 60.
They all developed similar symptoms between five and 40 hours after having dinner at the restaurant.
The patients sought medical attention, but none required hospitalization, the CHP said.
The manager of the restaurant told the newspaper one of the two groups ordered shrimp salad and the eatery’s signature giant soufflé. The other group also ordered the soufflé.
He suspected the two dishes might be the culprits but said neither those affected nor other customers reported anything unusual about the food at the time of dining.
Staff from the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department took away samples of the two dishes from the restaurant for laboratory tests.
A family doctor told the newspaper the two cases of suspected food poisoning may have resulted from salmonella in the eggs that are a major ingredient in soufflé.
The bacteria can end up in the dish if the eggs are not well cooked, causing gastroenteritis, he said.
– Contact us at email@example.com