Date
14 December 2017
Rescue workers stand in silent tribute before evacuating a body from the site of a landslide in the village of Xinmo in China’s Sichuan province on Sunday: Credit: Reuters
Rescue workers stand in silent tribute before evacuating a body from the site of a landslide in the village of Xinmo in China’s Sichuan province on Sunday: Credit: Reuters

Nearly 100 remain missing after deadly China landslide

Rescue workers in China are continuing to search for dozens of people who remained missing after a deadly landslide in Sichuan province over the weekend.

At least 93 people were still unaccounted for as rescue personnel pulled bodies out of piles of rock and mud on Sunday after a landslide buried a mountain village, Reuters reports, citing Chinese state media.

A huge landslide crashed down on the village of Xinmo as dawn broke on Saturday.

Authorities at the scene said on Sunday that 10 bodies had been confirmed recovered.

On Sunday industrial excavators removed rubble at the site of the landslide while workers in hard hats searched for signs of life as relatives of the lost cried or looked on stone-faced nearby.

Heavy rain triggered the landslide, authorities said.

A couple and their two-month-old baby were the only survivors reported to have been found alive.

Authorities reduced the number of missing after 15 people were confirmed as safe. It was not clear if the 15 had been rescued or had simply been away at the time of the disaster, Reuters said.

The rescue involved more than 3,000 people despite the danger of more landslides, according to Xinhua.

The state news agency cited geological experts as saying that the chances of anyone surviving under the rubble were slim.

– Contact us at [email protected]

RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe