The Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) has received a complaint from a consumer who said he spotted tiny white worms inside a pack of assorted sushi bought at the YATA Supermarket at Tsuen Wan Plaza over the weekend, Apple Daily reports.
In a social media post, netizen Sam said he purchased the sushi set for HK$79.8 from YATA Supermarket at around 6 p.m. on Saturday and kept it in the fridge after returning home.
When he took out the sushi at around midnight, he was shocked to see four to five white worms, each about one centimeter in length, wriggling out of the fish flesh.
Sam called the FEHD and the sushi pack was taken away for examination.
A spokesperson for YATA said the supermarket is looking into the complaint while stressing that it maintains stringent hygiene and safety standards for all its products.
Veterinarian Eric Lai Cheong-sang said the worms are parasites which can cause stomach ache if ingested, adding that they can thrive inside a human body.
– Contact us at [email protected]