Date
24 May 2017
This unidentified young boy suffered facial burns from an overheated electirc lantern. Photos: Facebook, Whatsapp
This unidentified young boy suffered facial burns from an overheated electirc lantern. Photos: Facebook, Whatsapp

Overheated electric lantern burns boy’s face

A young boy suffered facial burns after an overheated electric lantern caught fire.

Photos of the boy with a large burn mark on his face have been circulating on social media, with users urging people to be careful with the lantern, Apple Daily reports.

The Chinese-made lantern is available in Aeon department stores and toy shops for HK$79.90 (US$11).

Recommended for children above three years old, it’s powered by two AA batteries and has a heart-shaped speaker in the middle.   

A spokesperson for the toy’s importer said there are no plans to recall the product.

He said it complies with regulations on toys and children’s items, adding they have never received any reports of injuries from using the product.

The Customs and Excise Department said it has not received any complaints about lantern products in recent months, according to news website hk01.com.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe