Date
19 October 2017
This is what became of the USB charger (inset) after it exploded. It was a giveaway to a customer for opening a new account BOCHK account.
Photos: Google Maps, Baidu, Apple Daily
This is what became of the USB charger (inset) after it exploded. It was a giveaway to a customer for opening a new account BOCHK account. Photos: Google Maps, Baidu, Apple Daily

BOCHK customer angry over explosion of USB charger giveaway

A Bank of China (Hong Kong) Ltd. (BOCHK) customer is furious after a USB mobile charger he received from the bank’s Lam Tin branch exploded at home.

The customer, surnamed Yip, said the charger was a giveaway for opening a new account, Apple Daily reports.

Yip said he recharged the mobile device for several hours and unplugged it afterwards.

The USB charger exploded without warning the next morning, he said.

BOCHK said it has stopped giving away the USB charger which is under the brand name Speedy. It has a power capacity of 4,000mAh.

Yip said the signal light did not come on when the charger was connected to a power source.

He decided to unplug the charger before he went to bed, mindful of recent news reports of explosions from similar devices.

At around 10 a.m. the next day, Yip was awakened by a loud bang. He said he saw the charger on fire, emitting white smoke with a choking smell.

The plastic cover of the charger was burned and melted.

Yip went back to the bank and complained.

A Speedy manager, surnamed Wong, said the explosion was the first such case from its products.

The company apologized to Yip and the bank.

Wong said the device was sent back to the mainland for inspection, adding they would recall all other products from the same batch.

Cheung Sing-wai, an associate professor in the University of Hong Kong Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, said the signal light failing to come on could be a danger sign.

It could mean the circuit board of the charging device was faulty, he said.

Meanwhile, Sing Tao Daily is reporting that a Xiaomi 4 handset exploded while being charged in Nanan city in Fujian province.

It was the fourth explosion involving a Xiaomi handset. No one was injured.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe