Hong Kong boxer Rex Tso is seeking to parlay his unbeaten record into a major championship after emerging as the No. 1 contender in the World Boxing Organization supeflyweight division.
He notched his 20th straight win in October, beating Japan’s Ryuto Maekawa for the vacant WBO international superflyweight title.
The 29-year-old “Wonder Kid” has agreed to a one-year contract extension with Top Rank Promotions until 2018, Sing Tao Daily reports.
His rise to the top of the superflyweight class coincided with the promotion of Mexican Juan Hernandez to the 112-pound section.
That put Tso in contention for the title against reigning WBO world junior bantamweight champion Naoya Inoue of Japan.
Tso said he looks forward to meeting Inoue, nicknamed the “Monster”, after watching him in his latest fight.
Tso said he is focused on that potential fight.
The Hong Kong champion had lined himself up at a crack at former WBA champion Kohei Kono until Kono was crushed by Inoue on Dec. 30 in Tokyo.
Jay Lau, Tso’s trainer, said Tso’s first fight this year will be held in Hong Kong against International Boxing Organization champion Gideon Buthelezi of South Africa.
If all goes well, the contest will be held during March at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center, with Tso seeking his 21st straight victory.
Tso’s open invitation from Inoue to fight in the near future came before the Hong Kong boxer had risen to the top of the rankings, Lau said.
But due to a scheduling conflict the much awaited meeting with Inoue will have to wait.
Before becoming No. 1, Tso had been ranked No. 15 by various boxing bodies. Lau said the top ranking is well deserved.
Tso began his professional career in 2011, winning 20 fights, including 12 by knockout, Apple Daily reports.
– Contact us at [email protected]