Date
25 June 2017
A female accountant living in Central was sent to hospital after escaping from a fire at home. Photos: Google Maps & i-Cable News
A female accountant living in Central was sent to hospital after escaping from a fire at home. Photos: Google Maps & i-Cable News

London woman seriously hurt after dehumidifier catches fire

A 30-year-old accountant from London suffered serious injuries to her arms and legs after a dehumidifier caught fire on Tuesday in Central. 

The woman lives on the 19th floor of Million City at 28 Elgin Street, Apple Daily reports.

Her face was covered with thick black smoke after she escaped from the fire. Paramedics dressed her injured hands in gauze and plastic wrap to avoid wound infection.

She was sent to Queen Mary Hospital and was admitted to the intensive care unit, according to hk01.com. Her throat and trachea were burned because of smoke inhalation.

Firefighters evacuated about 20 residents from the building and took 45 minutes to put out the fire.

Firemen said the fire was probably caused by a short circuit. They found nothing suspicious.

The Consumer Council said a dehumidifier should not be turned on for too long. Users should make sure the intake and exhaust grilles are not blocked, so as to prevent it from overheating.

– Contact us at [email protected]

YH/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe