Eight people were injured when corrosive liquid dripped from the ceiling of a shopping mall in Tsuen Wan, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
The black liquid was found dripping from lamp shades attached to a false ceiling at AEON department store at Skyline Plaza on Sunday, according to Apple Daily.
Two males and six females aged between 11 and 60 suffered burns on their heads, arms, and necks. Small burn holes were seen in the victims’ clothing.
One of the victims, a housewife surnamed Lam, said the liquid dripped on her while she was taking the escalator up to the second floor. Her husband was also injured, although their daughter was unscathed.
The couple received treatment before being taken to Yan Chai Hospital.
Another victim said he was on the phone when he felt something dripping on his arm, causing a burning sensation and immense pain. He said he also found holes in the sleeves of his shirt.
The victims were all taken to Yan Chai Hospital, although four of them were later transferred to Kwong Wah Hospital for further treatment.
The affected area in the mall was cordoned off for public safety.
A spokesperson for the Tsuen Wan police district said a maintenance team hired by the mall had used a high pressure pump to clean the drainage with corrosive liquid following a complaint earlier in the week about a clogged pipe on the third floor.
It is suspected that several sewage pipes had burst due to wear and tear from frequent use.
No one was arrested while police investigation continued.
– Contact us at [email protected]