Ocean Park launched Halloween Fest 2017 on Thursday, offering visitors spine-tingling fun with multiple events, shows and attractions, although last month’s fatal accident at its Halloween-themed haunted house attraction has cast a shadow on the extravaganza.
The park said the attraction, which has been closed immediately after the accident, will not be reopened as investigations continue while it will do its best to ensure full safety of other facilities for the Fest, hk01.com reports.
The 21-year-old victim, surnamed Cheung, was a freshman at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, who went into one of coffins featured in the “Buried Alive” attraction and took the slide.
He was later found lying unconscious in the backstage area and was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead due to injuries.
It was suspected that a slide malfunctioned, sending a coffin crashing into the backstage area where Cheung had walked into by mistake after he completed his own ride.
While an official report on the fatal accident is still pending, the park has been blamed for not having staff to guide visitors at the scene.
A spokesperson for the park said on Thursday a staffer showed Cheung the exit.
Meanwhile, visitors noted that attractions at the Halloween Fest have simpler designs than the closed one.
Reporters of hk01.com who visited the place said some of the attractions were too dark for visitors to see where they were going.
At Phobia 17, one of the “haunted” attractions, visitors sometimes reportedly have to push and shove each other because of the congestion. Some visitors said the park should have grouped the players to avoid crowding.
– Contact us at [email protected]