Hundreds of people took to the streets on Sunday to demand the resignation of Secretary for Justice Teresa Cheng Yeuk-wah over the illegal structures found in her properties, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF), which organized the protest, said the turnout was about 1,000, while police estimated the crowd at about 700 at its peak.
Gathering at Southorn Playground in Wan Chai, the protesters first stood in silent tribute to the victims of the Tai Po bus crash on Saturday evening before marching to Justice Place in Central, where Cheng’s office is located.
As they marched on Luard Road, they held placards and a huge banner that read “Teresa Cheng step down”. They shouted slogans such as “Hongkongers, do not accept a Department of Justice without integrity!” and “Teresa Cheng, step down!”
The group’s convenor, Sammy Ip Chi-hin, said the turnout met their expectations, considering that the Lunar New Year holiday is near.
The CHRF will coordinate with other civic groups and discuss with legal experts on how to pursue the case against Cheng, Ip said, adding that lawmakers are also following up on the case at the Legislative Council.
Critics said the justice minister should have known that the houses she bought contained unauthorized building works, and could not claim that she had been too busy and unaware of them at the time of purchase.
Agnes Chow Ting, who has been barred from running in the March 11 Legco by-elections, also joined the march.
She said Cheng should take responsibility for her disqualification, instead of letting a returning officer do the task.
Cheng should not stay in office because she has lost her credibility, Chow added.
– Contact us at [email protected]