Date
23 October 2018
MTR said its staff at Yau Ma Tei Station found a burnt mobile phone in a rail car late Monday. About 700 passengers on board were evacuated in a safety precaution. Pics: Bloomberg/Screen shot of i-Cable News video
MTR said its staff at Yau Ma Tei Station found a burnt mobile phone in a rail car late Monday. About 700 passengers on board were evacuated in a safety precaution. Pics: Bloomberg/Screen shot of i-Cable News video

Smartphone accident sparks panic on MTR train

A mobile phone is reported to have caught fire and emitted smoke inside a commuter train in Hong Kong late Monday, sparking panic among the passengers.

According to Apple Daily, the incident took place at around 11 pm on a Tsuen Wan-bound MTR train, and involved an iPhone 7 Plus handset.

A witness told the paper that passengers were anxious to get off the packed train after it stopped at Yau Ma Tei Station, with some shouting that a person may have tried to set fire to a rail car.

According to the witness, he noticed what appeared to be an exploded mobile phone left on the floor of the rail car, and a strong burning smell.

There were no reports any passenger suffering injury.

Another source who claimed to be at the scene told Apple Daily that the smartphone in question, an iPhone 7 Plus, belonged to one of three female passengers who got on the train at Tsim Sha Tsui Station.

Confirming the incident, MTR said its staff at Yau Ma Tei Station found a burnt mobile phone in the first car of a train and took it away, after receiving a report from the Operations Control Centre.

About 700 passengers on board were evacuated in a safety precaution. Arrangements were made for the people to take another train.

According to the railway operator, the woman who owned the mobile phone told railway staff that she was panic-stricken after seeing the device emit smoke, and that she quickly threw it on to the floor.

The woman, who is said to have purchased the smartphone at a shop in Sin Tat Plaza in Mong Kok about a year ago, claimed that she had no idea why the handset suddenly got very hot, billowed smoke and caught fire.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe