Date
23 September 2018
Police inspect the scene where a mainland man who queued up at a ticket sales outlet for the concerts of  Andy Lau (inset) was attacked by two suspected gangsters near the Youth Square in Chai Wan on Sunday. Photo: Internet
Police inspect the scene where a mainland man who queued up at a ticket sales outlet for the concerts of Andy Lau (inset) was attacked by two suspected gangsters near the Youth Square in Chai Wan on Sunday. Photo: Internet

Mainlander hurt in knife attack at Andy Lau concert ticket line

Police are looking for two suspected gangsters who attacked a mainlander whom they asked to give up his spot in a queue to buy concert tickets in Chai Wan.

The incident took place sometime after 4 a.m. on Sunday, when the victim, 58, surnamed Zheng, was sleeping in his tent close to a ticket sales outlet near Youth Square on Chai Wan Road, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.

Zheng set up his tent in mid-August to await the start of the sale of tickets for the Christmas and New Year’s Eve concerts of Hong Kong superstar Andy Lau Tak-wah at the Hong Kong Coliseum.

The sale of tickets for the My Love Andy Lau World Tour is scheduled to start on Sept. 4.

Zheng’s early move made him the second person in the queue after a teenage student, and he was followed by an Indian man with a recognizance form.

Recalling what happened, the student, surnamed Wong, told Apple Daily that when he saw two men in black shirts approach the queue, he immediately left his spot because he had been told to leave by a stranger several days earlier. 

But as he was leaving, Wong said, two men woke up Zheng and tried to drive him away.

As they were quarreling, one of the gangsters pulled out a knife and slashed Zheng in the left hand and left ear before the duo fled the scene, Wong said.

A security guard then filed a police report, and Zheng was sent to a nearby hospital.

It is understood that Zheng, after his wounds had been treated, went back to the scene and reclaimed his spot in the queue. Wong also returned to retake his spot.

This was the second knife attack related to concert ticket sales in a month.

Police continued to search for the two attackers, who were described as aged 20 to 30 and about 1.66 meters tall, Apple Daily said.

Reacting to the incident, Lau, in a video cop, said he felt very bad about what happened and promised to follow up on the matter.

Lau called on fans queuing for tickets to his concerts to keep cool, and reminded them to call the police if they feel their safety is threatened. He also hoped the police would do their utmost to protect citizens.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/JC/CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe