About 200 residents of an apartment block in a public rental housing estate in Tsing Yi had to be evacuated in the evening on Monday following a fire at a unit in the building.
A blaze was reported at around 7 pm, with flames and heavy smoke coming out of a flat on the 16th floor of Wang Yung House in Cheung Wang Estate, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
As firefighters arrived at the scene and began an emergency operation, about 70 residents were found stranded on the roof waiting to be rescued.
All of them were taken down to the ground safely.
Meanwhile, the fire was doused within two hours, according to RTHK.
While no injuries were reported, a total of five people were sent to hospital for smoke inhalation. They were all said to be fine after treatment.
According to a resident who lives next door to the unit where the fire originated, the couple living in it had knocked on his door and informed him of a gas leak before they ran downstairs together.
Smoke filled up the corridor soon.
Initial investigation showed there was nothing suspicious about the fire. Authorities are continuing a probe to confirm the cause of the blaze.
– Contact us at [email protected]