Police arrested a 68-year-old man for allegedly allowing corrosive fluid he used to clean an air-conditioner pipe to drip on a busy street in Tai Po.
The incident took place at around 3:33 p.m. on Thursday, when several pedestrians walking along Kwong Fuk Road suddenly felt a burning pain in their skin, hk01.com reports.
Police officers and paramedics arrived at the scene after receiving a report that at least six people, aged 11 to 80, suffered what appeared to be acid burns due to droplets coming from a nearby building.
Among those hurt was an 11-year-old boy, who felt a burning pain in the forehead. He was sent to the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital for treatment, while the others declined to be treated.
Police suspected that the unknown fluid was dripping from a flat on the second floor of Hung Fat Building. Officers searched the flat and subsequently arrested a 68-year-old man living in the unit.
According to a source at the scene, the man, who is the principal tenant or sublessor of the flat, was trying to unclog an air-conditioner pipe by pouring corrosive fluid into it.
As a result, the fluid reportedly flowed down the outer wall of the building and dripped on pedestrians walking on the pavement below.
The man was arrested for allowing objects to drop from a height, which is a criminal offense under the Summary Offences Ordinance.
The flat reportedly had three air-conditioning units before, but one of them was later removed.
– Contact us at [email protected]