Repairs on the Legislative Council building and facilities vandalized by protesters on July 1 will cost between HK$40 million and HK$50 million, Legco President Andrew Leung Kwan-yuen said.
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday after a meeting of the Legco Commission, which he also chairs, Leung said the ongoing repair work is expected to be completed by mid-October, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reports.
He said the money for the repairs will mainly come from operating reserves of the government and the Legco Commission while the Legco Secretariat is also seeking compensation from insurance companies.
Legco may also seek additional funding from the government if necessary, Leung added.
On the night of July 1, hundreds of protesters, who were part of a larger crowd of demonstrators protesting against the now-suspended extradition bill, stormed the Legco complex and went on a rampage, destroying equipment and spraying graffiti on walls and furniture.
A few days after the incident, Leung told media that Legco will not hold any meetings before October because the fire safety, security and communication systems in the complex had been damaged while meeting facilities no longer functioned properly.
On Wednesday Leung said the Architectural Services Department, Electrical and Mechanical Services Department and the contractors have done their best to assist in the repair work.
In the meantime, the commission decided to pay the Legco restaurant HK$250,000 in gratuity as it cannot operate during the period, he said.
Commenting on the current political turmoil, Leung called on the people to cool down and not allow violence to escalate.
Lawmakers and political leaders should work together to find a political solution to the crisis, he added.
– Contact us at [email protected]